Thursday 14 June 2012

Looking for Love

The weather has calmed down. (Not Before Time) Although the is a bit of South Westerly swell rolling into King George Sound. We cruise past one of the bulk carriers anchored close to Mistaken Island. Bernie has told me that he saw several whales heading towards Bald Head. I know we wont see those whales as they will be going past the Salmon Holes by the time we get to Bald Head, and truthfully the swell out side the sound would make things very uncomfortable. We cruise past the eastern end of Mistaken Island then in to Frenchman Bay, past the wreck of HMAS Perth, Seal Rock and over to Limestone Head. As we get close to Limestone Head the call comes from Bernie that he thought he saw a blow close to the mainland, As I am chatting to Bernie, Eve my deckie comes to the bow and says she thinks she saw a blow in the direction of the islands, but not too far away. With reduced revs we turn and head in that direction. When looking for whales you have to scan all around as often a whale will pop up behind you, or off to either side. I spot a soft blow about 600 metres away. We find 1 humpback whale and follow him for some time as it just slowly cruises north, over towards the 3 ships at anchor. I am sure that he is "Looking for Love". I say him but I have no idea if the whale was a bull or cow. Being mating season you would think if it was a cow then a bull would not be far away. I am often asked to identify between bull and cow. I assume that if you have 2 whales the one in front is probably the female and the one following with its tongue hanging out is most likely the male. Why should things be different with whales. We leave this whale after some time and head towards Whale-world and cruise back toward home along the coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment