Monday 25 June 2012

Breaching Humpbacks

Its a great day and as we head out and chat to Bernie it sound as if all of the whales are out deep. That's fine as the weather is calm, a little cold but calm. We have a lady on board who has travelled the world to see whales and has warned me that she has not had a lot of luck in the past. I tell her that today will be different.

We get out on to the humpback highway and see a blow about 1 km away. We find 3 whales and follow them towards Bald Head they are just cruising. We see 2 whales about 500 metres out to sea and one blow inshore. We follow the 3 whales and as they get close to the land they slow down and at times swim to be close to the boat. 

My friend who was worried about not seeing whales has moved from her wheel chair to one of our comfortable club lounges and I have opened the window next to her so she has an uninterrupted view of these whales. Behind us now we have several large splashes in the distance. I watch to see if it continues and I can see a whale breaching so we head to take a closer look. As we arrive the whale breaches as if in slow motion. We follow and what a great show this whale puts on for our passengers. Looking around I see 2 more blows out to sea and a couple more further east. But we stick with the whale that is still breaching. We have now been watching this whale for about 30 minutes and I have taken about 100 pictures.  Here are a couple of those pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment