Sunday 3 June 2012

4 Humpbacks

Friday 8 pm and the lighting and thunder start. 6 am and thunder is still cracking through the skies of Albany, reports are coming in the we have had 150mm of rain over night. Knowing we were in for some bad weather I had already cancelled the days cruises. I arrive at the boat to check it and I am meet by a local fisherman that questions if I have intentions to cruise. Les tells me that there is a large sea running and he cant imagine we will be going any where for a few days. I head up to Marine Drive look out to see what I can see. Les was not wrong. Several friends are also there and we chat about the conditions.
Sunday morning and 25 knot E-NE winds are forecast and conditions still are not that good. I looking out over King George Sound when Bernie Hill arrives and as we chat we spot 2 humpbacks out near the Islands. Have I made the wrong decision not to cruise today. What's more important peoples comfort or my profit. I acknowledge the decision has been made so head off to do a few things. During my travels I go past the look out again and stop where a large group of people are pointing down just off marine drive. As I walk up to the group they inform me that there are 2 whales cruising past. I watch as they head to the entrance of Princess Royal Harbour. They disappear and although I head to a better vantage point I do not see them again. Well lets hope we can find some tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment