Sunday 3 July 2011

"Whales in the Sound"

We have a coach company booked to cruise with us today and have been worried that the weather will not be suitable, but I wake at 0630 hours to calm winds so feel a little relieved. A heavy shower as I enjoy my morning coffee and I feel a little apprehensive again. I arrive at the boat to find Eve keen to head out and the rain clearing. Bernie arrives to tell me that 4 humpbacks have been spotted traveling towards Goode Beach slowly. This means that even if the winds pick up a little we will have smooth sailing. Great, I really don't want to have to leave King George Sound to find whales, their is a 5.5 metre swell running. The coach arrives and the passengers have already spotted the whales on there trip around Marine Drive on the way to our marina. We head out and Bernie tells me that the whales have changed direction and are now 300 metres north of the end starboard channel marker. A mate Steve Bingham also phones me from hes in-laws house to tell me he can see whales in a line from him and Mistaken Island.
I see blows as I talk with Steve, so head over to get closer. We find 3 humpbacks traveling with no destination in mind, at times even turning and swimming toward the boat to get with in 30 metres and then changing direction just as quickly. We stay with them for about 1 hour, when one whales splits and heads east, we have a squal go through and most passengers decide to enjoy some morning tea. We head south towards Limestone Head so we can travel around the coast and enjoy some of our great scenery on our way home

The last few days on the south coast have been a bit wild. Saturday a friend Andrew Halsall and I  traveled out to West Cape Howe to try and capture some of the weekend storm. Here is a pic I got, its a stitch of 6 pictures and a bit of work in Lightroom.
.

"Think Whales Think Albany"
Master of the vessel Paul Guest

No comments:

Post a Comment