Thursday 12 June 2014

After The Storm

You would hope that we could find whales every where. 
Well obviously that's the way I would write the script but that would be too easy.

We leave the marina and the showers have finished for the day. Bernie is having trouble seeing to far across the sound as the last shower is making its way across the eastern side of King George Sound. 

One of my passengers joins me on the fly bridge and tells me that I have a great job. My response is that it gets a whole lot better after I have found a whale for my passengers.

By the time we finish morning tea we are close to Limestone Head. We travel out of the sound a little but we do have a bit of swell running. As we cruise north east towards Breaksea Island we keep our eyes peeled south. No blows are seen and I dont want to head south unless we can be sure of a whale. 

We round the western end of Breaksea and we find the shelter from the southerly swell. We check out the seals and as we slowly cruise along the northern side of the island there seams to be more seals today than we have seen for some time. We reach the eastern end of Breaksea still looking for an elusive blow east towards Rock Dundar. No luck so we head towards Michaelmass Island.

Finding a few Common Dolphins we turn and head back towards Breaksea so the dolphins swim at the bow and we get a good look. Numbers are building and it doesn't take long and we have some where between 40 and 50 common dolphins all around us. Some are jumping full length out of the water. We have travelled from close to Michaelmass Island and are now close to Breaksea again.

Off to the west I see a large splash and ask Jason if he saw it. No. Well mate just keep your eye out over there as the splash was larger than a dolphin but I don't see a whale.
Oh its not looking good today. We slowly head west towards home, all the passengers are now inside for the trip home.

Then I see a blow. Its small and not too far away. From my first look I suspect this whales is quite small may be one of the 8-10 metre youngsters we were seeing last week. "There She Blows" was the call, the whale is about 300 to 400 metres away and now I just want that second blow.
Waiting, waiting, waiting and it just doesn't come. We circle in the area several times but no luck.


We head home with some of the children driving the boat and one of my passengers joins me upstairs to confirm her opinion that I still have a great job even though today we didn't find a whale.

No comments:

Post a Comment