Sunday 15 June 2014

7 Whales Today.

We leave Princess Royal Harbour And Bernie tells me whales are hard to find.
Oh no please not today. We have a good crowed and after yesterday I have high expectations.

Jason has made us morning tea and is now on the fly-bridge and is on the look out for blows out on the line. Bernie is saying all is quiet from where he is. And the swell out side the sound is still a good 3 metres.

Now we are out on the line and heading towards Breaksea Island. We still have not seen a blow and I call Bernie. Still no sightings. A few minutes later Bernie calls back and says he has just seen a breach 1 km SW of us. I look in the general direction but cant see any thing and I just don't want to be out in the southern ocean if I can't be sure of a good viewing today.
We continue towards Breaksea and I am sure some of those on board now enjoy the calm conditions. We are just about to nose up to some seals and Jason tells me we have 2 whales heading for the north eastern end of Breaksea fast. So I guess we will have to come back to the seals later on.

We put the hammer down and head east, slowing down when we leave the protection of Breaksea, but I don't see these whales, but I do see a breach south of us. I head in that direction after I see a second breach.
The whales were may be 500 to 800 metres away when we first saw them and we are punching into a 3 metre southerly swell so we are taking it easy. The whales are heading west and we tag along. But now we have more whales in the area. Now we have another breach. Ok which whales do we follow, hang on how many whales are here 3 or 4.
There's 2 more just over there. Oh where are these whales oh just here, surfacing metres from the boat. Is that 2 more whales several hundred metres away.
Breach, 1 km South, and again. There are more whales further away but we stay in this area, I think its more important to watch whales than to count them. Some times all you need is 1 whale that comes close or puts on a show to make the day.


Some times its amazing how the whales become active at the same time. We follow our 3 whales, although at times they are changing directions and  we are not sure where they are going to come up.
Every one is ok even though the conditions are not the best we stick with the whales for some time, I don't want to push the limits and have people get sea sick and I don't want to leave too soon, not allowing people to enjoy the experience.
When I think its ok we head for home it will take us 40 minutes to get back to the marina from here arriving at about 1230. 

No comments:

Post a Comment