Sunday 21 June 2015

Whales and Dolphins

After a stormy day yesterday and not being able to find any whales to watch, although several had been seen from the shore out on the line between Breaksea Island and Bald Head. We were not expecting too much with strong winds forecast for the next few days. How ever I woke to calm conditions, with several groups contacting us to confirm we will be cruising I park up on Marine Drive, to scan King George Sound. At about 0820 I see 2 humpback whales just north of the Mistaken Island mussel lease. I think that the whales will have left the sound by the time we are leaving the marina, but conditions are good so I am pretty confident we will find whales today. As we leave Princess Royal Harbour I chat to Bernie who is now sitting up on Marine Drive and he tells me whales are close to the ship that is at anchor in the Sound. We get there in 10 minutes and find 2 humpbacks. They are pretty quiet so we get Andrew the deckie to crank up the earn and serve morning tea. I am sure the whales know we are in the area but they are in love so don't care about us as long as we do not harass them. After about 45 minutes watching the whales we spot a pod of Bottlenose Dolphins several hundred metres away. I know if they find the whales we could be in for some good photos. We spend about 2 hours with the whales in total, as the dolphins join the whales the whales become more active and at times as they chase the dolphins we are unsure where the whales will surface next. At times swimming very close past the stern of the boat. When its time to leave we have not travelled more than 2 km from where we first caught up with these whales.

No comments:

Post a Comment