Monday 3 June 2013

Whale reported to CALM

With clouds being pushed around with a North Easterly breeze we head towards Limestone Head. I had seen several blows out deep on the Humpback Highway (a line between Bald Head and Breaksea Island) Slowing the motors down a little I spot a blow about 1 km east of us, at the same time as some of our passengers. We continue slowly and then we spot a soft blow astern. As we get closer to this very quiet whale we see that it is very small and it dose not look very healthy. The whale had red marks on its back and on its tail. At one point I thought I saw some thing trailing from the whales tail but we could not get close enough to get a better look. Discussion with passengers and it seems that I was not the only one to think there is some thing trailing from this whale. As I scan the rest of King George Sound I spot several blows towards Michaelmas Island. As we leave the sick whale I contact the local authorities CALM and although I cant speak to a officer I leave a message detailing the area the whale is in and the condition that this whale is in. We get to the island to find 3 young humpbacks and shortly after we knock the motors out of gear the pod changes direction and swims over to us. At times just metres off the stern the whales seem to be diving and then surfacing 20 metres from where they lifted their tail to start their dive. We stay with them for some time and as they head towards Limestone Head we head back towards the marina.

No comments:

Post a Comment